Conditions of Employment
- Must be at least 16 years of age and meet education requirements.
- Must be suitable for Federal employment as determined by a background investigation.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National at the time of non-competitive conversion to a term or permanent position in the competitive service.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
- The incumbents of Internship positions may be reassigned/relocated to any geographical location where the employee’s services are needed as determined by management. Mobility agreement may be required.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- A signed participant agreement is required for employment under Pathways.
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience prior to graduation
- Maintain Pathways program eligibility for the duration of the appointment.
- Must be in good academic standing as defined by the educational institution.
- Must be enrolled at least half-time in a qualifying educational institution seeking a degree or certificate.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period.
- The candidate’s academic and career goals must be related to the position that they are appointed to.
- Positions filled from this announcement may be a bargaining or a non-bargaining unit position represented by either NFFE, AFGE, or NAGE.
You are required to meet the eligibility requirements of the Internship program, as described below in order to be considered for this position. You must meet all the eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. For more information on the qualifications for this position, go to: General Student Trainee Series 0099 (opm.gov)
INTERNSHIP PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY:
Applicants must meet Pathways Intern Program Eligibility Requirements as shown below by the closing date of the announcement. *Spring 2024 graduates will be required to provide proof of continued enrollment in the form of transcripts, acceptance letter or other appropriate documentation for Summer 2024 or Fall 2024 at the time of tentative selection. If no proof of continued enrollment is provided at that time, you will no longer be eligible for this internship.
- You must meet the definition of a student that is, be currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a high school, accredited home school, Job Corps Center, an accredited technical or vocational school, two-year or four-year college or university, graduate, or professional school. You must be taking at least a half-time academic course load leading to a degree or certificate. A certificate program is defined as a post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
- Applicants must be seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, etc.) and be in good academic standing (GPA of 2.0 or equivalent) to qualify for the intern program and to stay throughout the duration of their intern program. *If your school uses an alternate grading system, you must submit proof and explanation of the grading system with your application or you will not be considered for this position.
- Position Qualifications: Applicants must meet position qualifications requirements as shown below at the time of appointment. Entrance on duty dates for appointment may be made as early as Spring of 2024. The agency must be able to verify that the education was completed successfully before the applicant can be appointed.
Your application and resume must clearly show that you possess the experience requirements. Transcripts must be provided. Provide course descriptions as necessary.
Basic Requirement for Eligibility:
The minimum qualification requirements for each grade level of this vacancy announcement are described below.
Note: One full academic year of undergraduate; graduate; vocational; trades; technical or high school is the number of credit hours by the college, university, or school to represent one year of full-time study.
- For GS-03: Completion of one full academic year of post-high school study
- For GS-04: Completion of an associate’s degree or 2 academic years of post-high school study
- For GS-05: Completion of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree
- For GS-07: Completion of one full year of graduate level education
May be converted to any position with a Full Performance Level not to exceed GS-9. Conversion to a position with a full performance level of GS-9 is not guaranteed, you may or may not be offered conversion.
Education completed in foreign colleges and universities may be used if it has been accredited or evaluated by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.These position have a positive education requirement. The student must be currently enrolled in a physical science degree program that will satisfy on graduation the specific requirements for a professional or scientific position identified by on your pathways agreement. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0100/social-science-student-trainee-series-0199/
This announcement is associated with the 2024 Society for Range Management (SRM) recruitment event. The target start date for these positions is Summer 2024.
Please click this link
to see the Career Map for these positions.
If you have questions regarding duty locations in this announcement please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the announcement number and the exact location(s) for which you have questions in your email.
The duty locations listed in this announcement include primary and alternate locations for available positions. You must select all duty locations for which you wish to be considered; final duty location for each position will be determined at the time of selection.
Positions filled from this announcement may be a bargaining or a non-bargaining unit position represented by either NFFE, AFGE or NAGE depending upon duty location.
The applicant should expect that these are all primarily field going positions, with a significant amount of physically challenging field work in natural resource settings. This could involve use of Forest Service vehicles, tools, and Personal Protective Equipment; hiking, exposure to weather extremes and wildlife, and in some cases, working extended hours or shifts, evening work and/or spending some nights at remote locations. These are developmental positions.
The salary for these positions will be at a minimum of $35,499 unless the locality has a higher rate of pay. Please See https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2024/general-schedule for a comparison against this rate for locality
Government Housing: May be available.
Daycare Availability: Forest Service daycare facilities are not available.
If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you will be placed under a career development plan and may be non-competitively promoted if you successfully complete the requirements and if recommended by management. However, promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
This position requires 40 hours of formal, interactive training. An Individual Development Plan (IDP) must be completed and approved by the supervisor within 45 days of appointment.
Pathways Interns NTE may be converted to a term, career-conditional or career appointment before expiration of the original NTE appointment if that date is within 120 days of the completion of post-secondary degree requirements provided all other requirements for conversion have been met; however, conversion is not guaranteed. To be eligible for conversion, the Intern must meet the following:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen at the time of non-competitive conversion to a term or permanent position.
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship program prior to graduation.
- Complete a degree or certificate program from a qualifying post-secondary educational institution.
- Receive a favorable recommendation by supervisor.
- Meet the OPM Qualification Standards for the position to which the Intern may be converted. Conversion is not guaranteed and is based on the needs of the agency.
- Meet any agency specific requirements as outlined in the Participant Agreement.
- Perform the job successfully
- The Forest Service may use certain incentives and hiring flexibilities, currently offered by the Federal government, to attract highly qualified candidates. Additional information is available at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/pay-and-leave-flexibilities-for-recruitment-and-retention
This position may be eligible to telework up to four days per week, based upon the duties of the position. This position may also be eligible for flexible work arrangements as determined by agency policy and any applicable collective bargaining agreements.
RECRUITMENT, RELOCATION, and RETENTION INCENTIVE:
The Forest Service may use certain incentives and hiring flexibilities, currently offered by the Federal government, to attract highly qualified candidates. Additional information is available at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/pay-and-leave-flexibilities-for-recruitment-and-retention/
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
For GS-03 or 04:
Please note, these positions are targeted toward students in the beginning of their undergraduate/certificate education.
For GS-05 or 07:
Please note, these positions are targeted toward students in the beginning of their graduate education.
If you are graduating in the same semester or term in which you are appointed, you must be able to complete 640 work hours prior to graduation.
Spring 2024 graduates will be required to provide proof of continued enrollment for Fall 2024. If no proof of continued enrollment is provided, you will be deemed ineligible for an internship.
Applicants must meet position qualifications requirements as shown below at the time of appointment.
These positions have a targeted effective date of SpringSummer 2024. The tour of duty is full-time and may be filled at the GS-03, GS-04, or GS05 grade level. Conversion series and full performance of the position will be determined at time of job offer.
Before you submit an application for any of our vacancies, you should completely review the announcement and requirements. You should only apply for positions if you meet the required minimum qualifications AND program requirements described in the announcement. Do not apply to a duty location if you are not willing to accept or travel to that location.
If you have reviewed the announcement and believe that you meet both the minimum qualifications and the program requirements, you should document your experience and education in your resume. Since traditional resumes do not provide all the information needed to determine your status, you should create a more detailed resume to use when applying to Federal positions.
To view the application form, visit: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/12198856